Date Published:
Tue, 09/12/2017

By MICHAEL J. RAUSCH Sep 12, 2017

The perpetrator of the elaborately planned assault on Roundhouse Road in Monument Beach two and a half years ago will spend the remainder of his life behind bars. Former Coast Guardsman Adrian T. Loya, 33, has been sentenced to life in prison without parole. He will be incarcerated at the Massachusetts Correctional Institution–Cedar Junction in South Walpole.

On Tuesday, September 12, the jury in Mr. Loya’s trial found the defendant guilty on 29 of 30 charges brought against him. The most serious charge Mr. Loya faced was for the murder of Coast Guard Petty Officer Lisa Trubnikova. Jurors found him guilty of “murder in the first degree with pre-meditation and extreme atrocity and cruelty.”

Mr. Loya was on trial and accused of planning and carrying out an elaborate assault on 11 Roundhouse Road in the Seawatch Village condominium complex on February 5, 2015. The attack left Lisa Trubnikova dead and two other people—Ms. Trubnikova’s spouse, Anna Trubnikova, and former Bourne Patrolman Jared P. MacDonald—seriously wounded from gunshots.

Jurors did not find him guilty of one charge of assault and battery with intent to commit murder. The defense had argued that Mr. Loya did not intend to murder Anna Trubnikova.

Jurors were left with competing medical testimony as to whether Mr. Loya has a mental defect that impaired his ability to either fully comprehend the criminality of his actions or control his behavior to comport with the law. Psychiatrists and psychologists on both sides offered diagnoses ranging from Asperger’s to avoidant personality disorder to depression in presenting their opinion as to whether Mr. Loya could be held criminally responsible for the murder of Ms. Trubnikova and the other events of that night.

Mr. Loya was charged with murder; three counts of armed assault to murder; three counts of aggravated assault and battery; two counts of armed home invasion; two counts of armed assault in a dwelling; three counts of use of a firearm in the commission of a felony; two counts of armed kidnapping with serious bodily injury; burglary and assault on an occupant; arson of a motor vehicle; possession of a hoax device; assault and battery on a police officer; and 10 counts of possession of a large-capacity feeding device.

Mr. Loya stood shackled in the prisoner dock in the courtroom, his defense attorney J. Drew Segadelli by his side, and a court officer standing behind him. The accused responded stoically to the jury’s announcement, not moving as each guilty verdict against him was read.

Seated in the courtroom were Anna Trubnikova, surrounded by relatives and members of Lisa Trubnikova’s family, as well as retired Bourne patrolman Jared P. MacDonald. Both gave victim impact statements prior to the judge imposing sentencing.

Mr. MacDonald spoke of the physical pain he suffers on a daily basis. He added that he has been forced to leave the Bourne Police Force and “can no longer walk proudly in a uniform; I walk in pain.”

Anna Trubnikova recalled the events that led to her meeting Lisa Trubnikova. She described being forced to leave the Coast Guard due to post-traumatic stress disorder, and used such words and phrases as “monster” and “sick revenge” to describe Mr. Loya and his plot to kill her spouse.

She appealed for Judge Gary A. Nickerson to impose the maximum sentence allowable under state law, adding that she believed Mr. Loya capable of doing this again.

“For the safety and security of myself and others, I ask for no mercy for Adrian Loya,” she said.