Date Published: Sat, 11/05/2011
By Heather Wysocki
November 05, 2011
FALMOUTH — Rape and indecent assault charges still stand against a veteran Mashpee firefighter.
Last week, law enforcement officials speculated that charges against Stephen Bold, 48, would be dropped after a “significant development” in the Mashpee police investigation into allegations that Bold assaulted a 17-year-old girl on multiple occasions.
But Friday morning in Falmouth District Court, Assistant District Attorney Kerry Whalen said Cape and Islands District Attorney Michael O’Keefe’s office was not ready to dismiss the charges, though she said officials there are “well aware” of the state of the case.
Instead, Bold will face a Falmouth District Court judge again on Dec. 7 for a probable cause hearing and a hearing for a motion to dismiss the case brought by his attorney, Drew Segadelli.
“I don’t believe this case is going anywhere,” Segadelli said.
Earlier this week, Segadelli filed a motion for a speedy trial, in this case a probable cause hearing, and requested it take place next week.
But Judge Don Carpenter ruled that the probable cause hearing and Segadelli’s motion to dismiss would be heard in December.
First Assistant District Attorney Brian Glenny said that because the charges against Bold still stand, it is being treated like any other case — including the length of time between this hearing and the one in December.
“It’s nothing that’s unique about this case,” he said.
Glenny would not comment on the specifics of what is being reviewed in the Bold case, but said that prosecutors look at all facts before deciding how to proceed.
Bold appeared only briefly in court on Friday, and sat in the back row of seats in the courtroom. He did not speak during the pretrial hearing and left immediately afterward.
During the hearing, Segadelli said he had received a copy of the interview with the alleged victim that would prove the charges against Bold should be dismissed.
The district attorney’s office gave Segadelli the interview after he filed a motion earlier this week to get it, he said.
After Bold’s hearing, Segadelli said he plans to transcribe the DVD of the interview and present it during his motion to dismiss.
“If the district attorney isn’t going to dismiss this case, I trust the judge to do it,” he said.
Bold was arraigned Oct. 6 on two counts of rape and one count of indecent assault and battery on a person aged 14 or over.
Mashpee Police Chief Rodney Collins, who last week said his department had made a “significant development” in the case, declined Friday to comment on the charges not being dismissed.